Gypsum is fine-grained calcium sulphate (CuSo4) material industrially used as binding agent. The prime consumer of gypsum is the cement industry. In purpose to improve cement’s inherit qualities, performance and efficiency, gypsum is used as enhancer in cement industry.
Gypsum Storage Types
Storage of Gypsum can be done in two ways :
- Open gypsum storage
- Covered gypsum storage
Traditionally, most of the gypsum stockpiles in the Cement plant were open type. But with the passage of time, various problems have experienced with open stockpile system and potential need for covered gypsum storage system is felt.
Safety Measures to avoid hazards in Gypsum storage
In order to tackle health and safety (falls and other accidents) for Gypsum storage, the cement industry thinks that a comprehensive approach based on risk assessment should be followed. The safety recommendations associated with gypsum storage and its handling are as follows:
- Keep the gypsum in the stockpile extremely dry and cool, since gypsum is highly oxidizing in nature & its oxidation rate increases with increase in moisture and temperature.
- Full or partial solidification of bulk solids like (gypsum, limestone) by virtue of adsorption, crystallisation, adsorption after a long storage time, known as Caking. Gypsum Storage piles should be monitored at regular intervals to prevent this caking problem
- There should be automation in turning all electrical circuits on/off without the need for personnel to enter dust-emitting locations.
- In order to reduce the chances of medical illness in labour, the management should emphasise that medically unfit labour be kept away from the exposure of limestone, since this may aggravate their medical condition.
- In order to prevent the quality of gypsum to degrade from moisture and rainfall, the gypsum stockpiles should be kept under sheds and away from water.
‘Storage solution for gypsum’ engineered by Hindustan Alcox Limited is the most advisable choice to cover stockpile for the most challenging environment. We, at Hindustan Alcox Limited build Gypsum storage sheds with long span steel structure having span of up to 150 m & height of up to 40 m. As a barrel vault structure, Gypsum dome also provides an opportunity to achieve good plant efficiency by maximum space utilization and hasty operational works.
FGD/Flue Gas Desulphurization is another application of Gypsum storage in which various chemical techniques are used to separate sulphur di-oxide(So2) in exhausted flue gasses from the Furnace/boiler.
– Hindustan Alcox Limited, New Delhi